Tethering a Nikon Z7 to your computer is quick, simple, and easy with Tether Tools gear! The Z7 has a USB-C data port so you’ll need either a TetherPro USB-C to USB-C cable if you’re connecting your Z7 to a computer with a USB-C port (such as a new MacBook Pro) or the TetherPro USB 3.0 to USB-C cable if you’re connecting your Z7 to a computer with a traditional USB port.
The Camera – Nikon Z7
Nikon has taken the next step in their imaging journey with the Z7 Mirrorless Camera and the revolutionary Z System. This high-resolution FX-format camera introduces the Z Mount, a large diameter design with a short 16mm flange distance that allows Nikon to create compact, yet powerful cameras and develop more advanced optics.
- A 45.7MP BSI CMOS sensor is used for high-resolution shooting, impressive low-light quality, and fast readout speeds to benefit continuous shooting, movies, and time-lapse recording. The back-illuminated design of the sensor affords noticeably cleaner high-sensitivity output for reduced noise when working at high ISO values, up to a native ISO 25600, as well as vivid and smooth quality at sensitivities as low as ISO 64. The sensor’s design also omits the conventional optical low-pass filter in order to achieve the greatest sharpness and resolution from the sensor. Benefiting the sensor is the apt EXPEED 6 image processor, which affords a wealth of speed throughout the camera system, including the ability to shoot continuously at 9 fps in raw.
The Software – What software should you use to shoot tethered with the Nikon Z7?
While not yet supported, there will be several software options for Nikon Z7 shooters including Adobe Lightroom, Capture One, and Smart Shooter. Learn more about these and more options in the Software category on TetherTools.com.
The Gear – Starter and Pro Tethering Kits
Starter Tethering Kit
The Starter Tethering Kit from Tether Tools will help you seamlessly transition into a tethered workflow and provides the basics you need to get started.
The Starter Tethering Kit includes:
- Your Choice of Cable – TetherPro USB-C to USB-C or TetherPro USB 3.0 to USB-C cable (depending on type of port on your computer)
- One (1) JerkStopper Camera Support
- One (1) JerkStopper USB Support
- One (1) Tether Tools Cable Organization Case (Standard)
- One (1) Package JerkStopper ProTab Cable Ties – Small (10pk)
Pro Tethering Kit
The Pro Tethering Kit is the ideal setup for a professional tethered photography workflow. Take your photography and professional image to the next level by enhancing productivity, improving efficiency, and increasing safety in your workstation.
The Pro Tethering Kit Includes:
- One (1) Tether Table Aero Master or Traveler
- One (1) LAJO-4 ProBracket
- One (1) Aero ProPad
- One (1) Aero Cup Holder
- One (1) Aero SecureStrap
- One (1) Aero XDC
- Three (3) Aero Clip-on Hooks
- One (1) JerkStopper Clip-on Support
- One (1) StrapMoore
- One (1) Tether Table Aero Storage Case
To learn more about shooting tethered including how to create better images and work more efficiently while keeping your files safe and secure by incorporating an archival tethering system into your workflow download the Ultimate Tethering Guide – FREE from Tether Tools and the American Society of Media Photographers (ASMP).